Choosing Nicotine Strength of Your Vape Juice
Once you’ve picked out the flavor of your perfect vape juice, the next step is to determine your ideal nicotine strength. Nicotine is the substance found in tobacco that makes cigarettes addictive. E-liquids come in varying nicotine strengths. The average ranges vary between 0%, 0.6%, 1.2%, 1.8%, 2.4% and 3.6% nicotine by volume. In other words, if you choose 1.2% nicotine strength, 1.2% is actual nicotine, and the remaining 98.8% is water, PG or VG, and food-grade flavoring.
Some companies prefer to list nicotine strength in milligrams. Instead of listing the nicotine value at 1.2%, they will list it at 12 mg. These are the same levels, just labeled differently. The higher the nicotine value, the more nicotine you will receive in each puff.
To choose the right nicotine level, consider your current level of tobacco use. The average daily use of adult tobacco consumers varies. A typical tobacco consumer, for example, one who is at a pack per day, might find an 18 mg or 24 mg nicotine level satisfying. That could serve as a general baseline to compare in relative to your current level of tobacco consumption.
Below is a comprehensive list of vape juice nicotine levels:
0% – Nicotine free e-liquid for non-nicotine vaping is for vapers who enjoy the flavor and sensation but do not want the nicotine. This liquid is appropriate for vapers that have strategically and gradually reduced nicotine intake.
0.15% (1.5 mg) – The 0.15% nicotine level, or 1.5 mg, is a new option designed for serious cloud chasers. Some of the new vape tanks and powerful mods can be vaped at well over 200 watts. That equates to massive vapor production. Because so much vapor is being inhaled, less nicotine is needed for satisfaction. You will find this nicotine level in VG and Max VG vape juice.
0.3% (3 mg) – A 0.3% or 3 mg nicotine level is the most popular choice for vapers using sub ohm or temperature control mods with atomizers less than 0.5 ohms and vaping at about 75 to 150 watts. The 3 mg option is typical for VG and Max VG options.
0.6% (6 mg) – Vaping a 0.6% or 6 mg vape juice is about as high a nicotine content that you will need for any sub ohm or temp control vape setup. That is why most VG and Max VG e-liquids do not offer anything about 0.6% nicotine. Commonly used with mods vaped at 30 watts to 75 watts with atomizer resistances of 0.8 ohms to 0.5 ohms.
You will also find a 6% nicotine level offered in PG and 50/50 vape juice blends. The PG and 50/50 blends are designed for standard vaping with atomizers above 1.0 ohms of resistance. While 6% is a high nicotine content for a VG e-liquid, it is a mild nicotine level for a standard PG vape liquid.
All of the following nicotine levels apply to PG and 50/50 e-liquids:
1.2% (12 mg) – This liquid is commonly used by light to moderate tobacco consumers. This level is available in 50 / 50 and PG e-liquids. Cosmic Fog offers a 1.2% nicotine level in a 70 / 30 VG / PG blend.
1.8% (18 mg) – This is a medium-strength e-liquid that is used by typical adult tobacco users. Probably the most common e-liquid nicotine level for first time vapers. Available in 50 / 50 and PG blends.
2.4% (24 mg) – This is one of the stronger e-liquids available. It is recommended for heavy, daily nicotine users. Best to use in PG blends.
3.6% (36 mg) – This liquid nicotine level is for the heaviest tobacco users. Not meant for lighter users. The 36 mg e-liquids should only be vaped in PG e-liquids with standard mods or cig-a-likes. You don’t want to overdo it!
5% (50 mg) – A very strong nicotine content with an intense hit. This level of nicotine is found in the JUUL vapor device. Designed to be occasionally puffed and not for chain vaping.
It may take a little trial and error to find the nicotine strength that best suits your personal preference. It is also important to consider how you vape. If you like to vape continuously during the day, it’s best to choose a weaker nicotine level so as not to ingest too much and make yourself sick or make your nicotine addiction worse. If, however, you prefer to take only a couple of puffs a day, you can consider a stronger e-liquid that will quickly satisfy your nicotine craving.
Getting the right nicotine strength is an integral part of finding your best vape juice. Too little nicotine might make you vape more to compensate, while too much may give you headaches. A good rule is to start with medium strength, then adjust accordingly.