Diacetyl is a chemical that occurs in low concentration in coffee, honey, apples, vinegar, and tobacco. It is used by manufacturers to add a buttery taste to products like oil sprays, snack food, margarine and lately e-juices. Heated diacetyl may cause coughing and lead to respiratory sickness. Thus diacetyl-free e-juice flavoring is in high demand among savvy vapers – and for a good reason. E-liquid companies are aware of this and for the most part, have made conscious efforts in reducing or eliminating this chemical. Some manufacturers took this step and started producing superior, safe e-juices that deserve top charts positions.
Best Diacetyl-Free E-Juices
Check out top e-juices by the most trusted brands.
#1 VaporFi Strawberry Shortcake Ice Cream
Delicately balanced to provide a blast of strawberry flavor with a creamy ice cream undertone, this delicious all-day vape has been received with almost universal acclaim.
- 70/30 VG provides a smooth vape with excellent clouds
- No unpleasant aftertaste Strawberry flavor feels natural and authentic
- Very mild throat hit
- Good value at$25.99 per 60ml bottle
- Detailed ingredients on the packaging
- Only available in 30ml bottles
- Strawberry may be overpowering to some
- Does not work well with some atomizers
- Sugary flavor is harder on coils
#2 Old Fashioned R&R by Motley Brew
Frustrated with the flood of substandard e-liquids they claim have been flooding the market, Motley Brew set out to create high quality, premium e-juices that set them apart from the competition.
A combination of bourbon and citrus, this is the perfect vape for people who want to indulge in their favorite cocktail, no matter what the time day. Having won Best in Show for Drinks and Cocktails at the 2015 Vape Summit, Old School R&R carries flavors of whiskey, citrus, and bitters with a slightly sweet undertone. This unforgettable flavor is coming soon on the official manufacturers’ website to satisfy real connoisseurs.
- 70/30 PG/VG is perfect for sub ohm devices
- A good mix of tartness and sweetness
- Available as high as 18mg of nicotine
- Fitting for both new and experienced vapers
- Only $5.00 for a 30ml bottle
- Throat hit can be a bit strong for some
- Whiskey can be overpowering and almost cigar-like
#3 FAR Grape by Vape Element
All of the Element’s products are proudly made in the U.S.A. and adhere to American manufacturing standards and are officially certified to produce e-liquids.
FAR Grape Vape is a medley of ruby red and concord grapes, giving it a taste akin to the grape soda so beloved by soda drinkers everywhere. With a solid flavor that is not too overpowering, FAR Grape Vape is the perfect diacetyl-free e-juice for fruit and drink lovers alike.
- 75/25 VG/PG content makes it even smoother than many liquids
- An appropriate choice for cloud-chasers
- Available in 20ml and 100ml bottles
- Creative packaging design
- Very affordable at only $36.99 for 100ml
- Not ideal for those who do not like fruits or grapes
- Only available up to 6mg of nicotine
#4 Ripe Vapes Pear Almond E-Liquid
This award-winning company has a massive share of recognition under its belt. Having won Best in Show Overall at Vape Summit One, Best Tobacco Product from Vape Summit Two, Best Tobacco E-Liquid from Vape Jam UK 2016 and the 2014 Spinfuel Choice Award, Ripe Vapes’ reputation speaks for itself.
The company is proud to be diacetyl-free while obtaining its nicotine, glycerine, and flavorings from only the highest quality, reliable sources.
Created with the fine dessert connoisseur in mind, Pear Almond is a mix of European pastries and mild fruit flavor. The primary taste of marzipan takes the spotlight, with small (but noticeable) hints of fresh pear. Suffice to say, this is not a generic dessert flavor.
- 75/25 VG/PG blend is perfect for sub-ohm devices
- Unique presentation
- Offers both 30 and 60ml option
- Lab test results available on their website
- Available up to 18mg of nicotine, making it perfect for new vapers
- Does an excellent job of balancing the marzipan and pear flavors
- Acceptably priced at $19.95 for 60ml
- Pear flavor does not taste authentic
#5 Remixed Sampler Pack by Motley Brew
Another pastry flavor, The Drop is a combination of key lime cookie and blueberry with a hint of vanilla. This balanced blend of dessert and fruit flavors makes it the perfect choice for pastry and fruit fans alike.
A sharp left turn from its dessert counterparts, Bubble Pop, comes in strong with the powerful taste of strawberry bubblegum. Kiwi and watermelon take over upon exit, providing a unique, candy flavor that only Motley Brew can provide.
- 70/30 PG/VG adds smoothness, especially for the pastry flavors
- Plenty of variety Nicotine options as high as 12mg
- Only $15.00 for three 30ml bottles
- Only available in 30ml
Health Benefits of diacetyl-free E-Liquid
According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), diacetyl is best known for its use in popcorn flavorings (but has since found itself in many e-liquids). It was eventually associated with lung damage, resulting in decreased respiratory function. Animal studies by the CDC also showed severe lung impact following diacetyl exposure. Frequent vapers greatly significantly reduce potential respiratory harm by avoiding this substance.
Diacetyl is safe to ingest, but research shows it is hazardous when inhaled. This chemical is not a necessary component in e-liquids, so always research the product in order to prevent potential lung damage.
Where Can Consumers Find diacetyl-free E-Juice Vendors?
While there is no directory or online compilation of companies that avoid diacetyl, they are easy to identify nonetheless. E-liquid manufacturers know this chemical’s dangers and make efforts to self-regulate. They often advertise that their products as diacetyl-free and post-third-party lab tests on their websites as proof.
|1||Grandmaster||ND < 5|
|3||Castle Long||ND < 5|
|4||Sixty-Four||ND < 5|
|6||Fifth Rank||ND < 5|
|9||Bowden’s Mate||ND < 5|
|10||Queenside||ND < 5|
The lab test results from several e-juices shows that diacetyl has been found in varying degrees, depending on the flavor.
The letters “ND” stand for “non-detect,” implying that the amounts were too insignificant for the equipment to find any diacetyl. This legend is universally used in third-party lab analyses, making the results simple to read and allowing consumers to identify diacetyl-free e-liquid easily.
Lab tests published by Harvard University in June 2016 found that diacetyl was most prominent in tobacco and menthol flavored e-liquids; however, the e-cigarette industry has evolved considerably year over year. While menthol and tobacco are likely culprits for diacetyl, they do not universally contain it.
Quick Facts About Diacetyl
- Although used in artificial flavorings, diacetyl is created naturally through yeast fermentation.
- In addition to buttery flavors, diacetyl is used in some Chardonnay wines and a wide variety of fruit flavors consumed on a daily basis.
- Diacetyl gained infamy when it was linked to a condition called bronchiolitis obliterans – colloquially referred to as “popcorn lung” due to the harmful effects of its inhalation popcorn factories that lacked ventilation.
Diacetyl – like many substances – is both benign and dangerous. Although safely used for years as a food flavoring, it is clear that the substance is unsafe for inhalation.
Fortunately, there are thousands of brands and flavors available that not only avoid diacetyl but also use very high quality, reputable ingredients. The aura of transparency and responsibility in the e-liquid market is truly notable, so vapers everywhere should support and promote diacetyl-free e-liquid brands.