Reasons for Quitting Smoking Today
The most crucial part of quitting smoking tobacco is staying motivated. As you undertake the challenge of quitting, you need to keep reminding yourself of why you’re doing it — and there’s no shortage of reasons to give up the habit.
To help you identify the reasons that speak to you the most, we compiled the list below.
Discover why quitting is important to you so that your commitment to quit will not waver.
I’m Quitting for…
- My chances of getting cancer will drastically decrease.
- My life expectancy can increase by 10 years if I quit today.
- My blood pressure and heart rate will return to normal healthy levels, and my stamina and blood circulation will improve.
- Quitting will make me smarter. Smoking is linked to memory loss and a decrease of reasoning abilities and speeds up the progress of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
- Breathing will become easier and coughing will be a thing of the past.
- I won’t get sick as often since my immune system will no longer be suppressed by tobacco.
- My bones will get stronger and denser.
- My hands and feet won’t be cold all the time.
- I will sleep better and have more energy during the day.
- I will be less likely to suffer from acid reflux.
- I will look younger, and my skin will be healthier.
- My tired baggy eyes will disappear.
- My skin’s aging process will slow down significantly.
- My teeth and fingernails will no longer be yellow and sickly looking.
- My hair won’t turn yellow and I will have less chance of balding prematurely.
- My breath won’t smell in front of my friends and family.
- I will save a lot of money that I can spend on the things I love doing.
- Everything will taste better.
- My sense of smell will go back to normal.
- My clothes and my house will smell nicer.
- I will be more productive, since I will no longer be a slave to the urge to smoke.
- I won’t have to worry about smoking sections and smoking bans in restaurants anymore. I will never stand outside in the cold, rain or snow to satisfy my urge.
- As a nonsmoker, it will be easier for me to find a well-paying job. On average, nonsmokers earn 11% more at their jobs.
- I will have an easier time selling a car or renting an apartment.
- Caffeine will be more effective, so I can cut down of my coffee intake and kill two birds with one stone.
…My Loved Ones
- I will never harm the people I love with secondhand smoke again.
- My children will be half as likely to take up smoking.
- I will be able to spend the money I save on doing what I love with my friends and family.
- My sex life will improve due to better blood circulation.
- The increased lifespan makes me more likely to get to see my children graduate, get married and live their lives.
- I will make it easier for my partner to quit.
- Smoking can cause snoring both for the smoker and the people in their environment, so quitting will make everyone in my household sleep better.
- My children will be less likely to have respiratory tract and middle ear infections.
- More energy means I will be able to spend more time with my friends and family.