//How to Cleanse Your Lungs From Smoking
How to Cleanse Your Lungs From Smoking 2018-04-16T16:05:59+00:00

How to Cleanse Your Lungs From Smoking

clean lungs

The process of cleansing your lungs might not be easy for everyone. Is the thought of drastically changing your lifestyle terrifying to you? If so, don’t worry and just take one step at a time. Here are five ways to cleanse your lungs after quitting smoking. Introduce at least one the following pieces of advice every week. That way you will gradually strengthen your new habits and your body will adapt quicker.

#1 Air Environment

The bottom line is to avoid smoke and toxins altogether. The first thing is to keep fresh air circulating.

Stay in Ventilated areas

• If possible, try to stay away from smoke and other smokers (while they smoke).
  • Consider investing in home air purifiers to remove allergens and small particles from the air. Pick a device with a HEPA filter; it is more efficient than Ozone air cleaners. Besides, the latter may irritate sensitive lungs.

If you’re not allergic to pollen:

• At home, open your windows whenever possible. The point is to be surrounded by fresh air, even at your home.
  • Sleeping with open windows will provide access to fresh air for your brain and lungs. If you can’t open the window, open the doors to your bedroom.

Keep your Home Clean

• If you have carpets, have them cleaned in a dry cleaner if they are dirty. Make sure to use the vacuum cleaner as soon as need be.
  • Remove dust from your shelves, books, objects. Do it every 2-3 days, because dust is accumulating very quickly.
  • Make sure to often clean your home.
  • If you have a wood-burning stove or a fireplace, stop using them for a while. The release toxins in the smoke, which is harmful to your lungs.

AdvertisementV2-banner

Good Plants and Bad Pollen

In daylight, green plants absorb carbon dioxide and other pollutants in exchange for oxygen. That leaves us with cleaner and oxygenated air to breathe. Just don’t keep them in your bedroom, because without light, the plants will switch to absorbing oxygen.

But some plants emit pollen, spores and other particles that could be irritating to your lungs. Even if you’re not allergic, go through your household plants and eliminate them.

No problem, many plants are safe, don’t distress lungs and are easy to maintain.

Some examples: Aloe Vera, Spider plant, Snake plants, Chrysanthemum, Seeping Fig, English Ivy, Palm Tree, Peace Lily, and more. Ask for advice at your local flower store.

Use Non-Toxic Household Cleaning Products:

Household toxins

Most of the household cleaning and cosmetic products contain harmful chemicals, providing daily amounts of toxins to your lungs and body. The most commonly present hazardous substance is ammonia. It irritates the respiratory tract and causes shortness of breath and coughing. Switch to nontoxic products instead. If the only step you take is to get rid of ammonia in your home, you already made yourself a service!

Be aware of scam

A label “natural” does not mean that all ingredients are natural. It simply means that there is a minimum amount of natural ingredients, and the rest can be synthetic.

Also, keep in mind that all that is natural is not necessarily non-toxic. What is healthy for someone else might not be beneficial for you, if you’re allergic. In any case, make it a rule to verify ingredients of cleaning products you use.

#2 Diet

Food to Avoid

The reason why you are coughing is the mucus accumulated in your lungs. Therefore you should avoid food that triggers mucus production:

• Processed meat
  • Frozen convenience food
  • Fast food in general
  • Dairies (milk, cheese, and yogurt)

What to Eat

Smoking is one of the factors that generate an acidic pH in your blood. Too much acid in your body fluids is a condition called acidosis. If it goes too far, this could lead to kidney stones or even kidney failure.

To compensate for this, you should eat more alkaline foods.

• Vegetables: root vegetables, leafy greens
  • Fruits: apples, bananas, lemons, berries, oranges, watermelons
  • Proteins: almonds, chestnuts
  • Spices: cinnamon, curry, ginger

Toxins contain free radicals that destroy cells everywhere in your body, including your lungs. Antioxidants are substances that neutralize the excess of free radicals and prevent damage to organs. Here are some examples of antioxidant-rich foods:

• Fruits: Blueberries, cranberries, grapes, blackberries
  • Vegetables: artichokes, broccoli, spinach, sweet potatoes
  • Other: green tea, fish, pecans, walnuts

To increase oxygen uptake in your body, you could also add chlorophyll to your diet. It also cleanses blood and tissues.

You could find supplements, but the best quality is in food that contains chlorophyll:

• Juiced wheatgrass
  • Spirulina
  • Blue-green micro-algae
  • Sprouted seeds

#3 Exercise

Staying in good physical shape is essential for providing oxygen to all your organs and your overall health. It helps to deal with your cravings by postponing it even an hour after the physical efforts.

It also releases endorphins, commonly called the feel-good hormones. They relieve pain and generate feelings of pleasure.

The Department of Health and Human Services recommends the following:

• 150 minutes per week (30 minutes 5 times a week) of moderate aerobic activity. That can be swimming, walking, gardening
  • 75 minutes per week (25 minutes 3 times per week) of vigorous aerobic activity OR strength training. That can be jogging, biking, dancing, or playing soccer.

Outdoors

If you enjoy being surrounded by nature, try doing outdoor sports as much as possible. Football in a park, jogging in woods or swimming in a lake – these are all health improving and relaxing physical activities.

Yoga

Benefits of yoga are numerous. For ex-smokers, there are two main reasons to choose yoga.

• You Learn to Breathe Efficiently. You will learn and practice to breathe from your diaphragm. That helps to expand the lung capacity and strengthens belly muscles involved in breathing.
  • Your Posture Will Improve. A straight back position provides optimal space for your lungs and muscles to work on breathing.

Yoga is an excellent choice regardless if you’re in good shape or not. There are different types of yoga, starting with the relaxing, meditative styles to the vigorous Ashtanga style. You should avoid Hot Yoga for a while, which consists in vigorous physical activity in high temperature. Your lungs might not be ready for this.
Visit a local Yoga school and ask them, what form would be ideal for your physical condition.

#4 Alternative Home Made Detox

Raw Honey

Start your day with a spoon of raw honey (without added sugar). You can also drink it dissolved in a glass of water. Its antibacterial and antiseptic properties will decrease your coughing already after a week.

And honey contains minerals that promote tissue repair.

Herbs

• Use Cayenne pepper in solid food. It relieves irritation from coughs and sore throats.
  • Add 2-3 drops of Oregano oil daily to water, milk or juice. It will stop harmful bacteria (like staphylococcus aureus and pseudomonas aeruginosa) from growing.

Menthol

Apply Peppermint balm on your chest and back to soothe the respiratory muscles. Menthol is a popular decongestant effective immediately. If you prefer to avoid the smell you can also chew peppermint leaves (but NOT chewing gum).

Inhalations

Add Eucalyptus drops to steam inhalations to remove congestion and mucus. But first, ask your doctor or pharmacist about possible interactions with medications you might take.

#5 Relax

Many people feel stressed after quitting smoking. Relax. You are beginning a challenging journey, be kind to yourself.

massage

Meditation and Mindfulness

Many people turn to meditation to deal with their stress and cravings caused by nicotine withdrawal. There are so many options to practice meditation or yoga that you certainly find something that works for you.

In the short run, meditation will help you to calm down. In the long term, you can work on developing mindfulness, an attitude of kindness towards oneself and awareness of one’s actions.

Massage

• Massages increase the lymph circulation and help your immunity system to fight toxins in your body.
  • During massages, you need to inhale and exhale slowly and deeply, so it’s a great exercise of breathing.
  • If respiratory muscles are tense, they will affect breathing in restricting. Massaging them relaxes the muscles and directly improves respiration.
  • Plus, it’s a treat.

How Can I Make That Easier?

Have a substitute

After quitting smoking, many people say that they have strong cravings, they become nervous, or they need something to do with their hands. You can have a bracelet or bangle on your wrist to play with, or have some relaxing fidget toy at hand.

Remember Your Goals

Why did you quit smoking?

Write down the reasons why you decided to quit. Note everything you will be able to do as a non-smoker. Have a note ready in your pocket, your desk or wherever is the most practical for you. Every time you have a craving, think about the improvements in your life after you’ve quit smoking.

Here are some examples:

• Maybe you wish to improve your health or be in better shape?
  • You want to get rid of the smell all over your things and your place?
  • Maybe your partner is bothered by you smoking?
  • You don’t want to let your children (or future children) inhale smoke?
  • You will save a lot of money

Quit together with a friend and stay in a supportive, nonsmoking environment.

Ask your family and friends to hold you accountable.

Be proud of the everyday improvements you have already achieved!

111 Comments

1. Vanessa Bazzie
    Vanessa Bazzie December 1, 2016 at 7:18 pm - Reply

I stopped two days ago. First smoked at 14 now 41. I was smoking a pack a day and just stopped cold turkey. Honestly I haven’t had any bad craving for them and my husband is still smoking. Looking forward to a healthier me. Now to convince him that he would feel so much better.

• Saffi Sidhu
      Saffi Sidhu January 27, 2017 at 5:54 pm - Reply

Run 2-3 miles daily you’ll be great

• Nevada Sykes
      Nevada Sykes April 1, 2017 at 6:23 pm - Reply

Follow up status request. I’ve started stopped so many times. I’m at 3 days right now. How are you doing with it?

• Jessie Swan
        Jessie Swan May 4, 2017 at 6:46 pm - Reply

The book Allen Carr’s Easy Way to Stop Smoking helped me quite a bit.

• Debbie Pierson
          Debbie Pierson June 7, 2017 at 12:59 am - Reply

me too without physical side effects

• Md Afroz Ansari
        Md Afroz Ansari September 23, 2017 at 3:46 am - Reply

1st of all you have to improve your while power and keep it in your mind that you hate the smoking. And stay with your while power and always remember that quitting is very easy.

• Karen
        Karen October 3, 2017 at 9:16 pm - Reply

I am on my first day and going crazy !!!

• Peter
          Peter January 10, 2018 at 3:03 pm - Reply

It has been a month now!
          I had a fever and cold but I did not give up.. Still I am suffering from headache but I have decided now, I wont smoke in my life.

Good luck dude!
          You will same money & time apart from health!

• Peter
            Peter January 10, 2018 at 3:04 pm

*save money

• Adam
          Adam February 22, 2018 at 3:46 am - Reply

Me too!! But i am not going to let a plant wrapped in paper control my life. I will control my life

• Lee William Gregory
      Lee William Gregory May 2, 2017 at 5:52 am - Reply

still quit

• Adriano
      Adriano September 27, 2017 at 1:55 pm - Reply

Hi Vanessa,

How’s everything now after 10 months? I would love to learn about your experience!

kr
      Adriano

• Denise
      Denise October 18, 2017 at 3:16 pm - Reply

Go, girl! I just stopped 4.5ndays ago. I got a throat and lung infection, couldn’t breathe, had a breathing treatment and gave myself the final wake-up to stop. Now I’m replacing it with healthy thoughts, reading about healthy ways to avoid smoking, etc. We can do it!

I have yet to tell my family. I am waiting a few weeks and see if they notice. 🙂 My grandson will be thrilled!

• aa
      aa October 24, 2017 at 12:26 pm - Reply

its just 2 days buddy.. you will eventually know its painful

• Diez Nots
      Diez Nots October 24, 2017 at 1:21 pm - Reply

definitely not motivating, but good for you.

• CAthy
      CAthy January 1, 2018 at 1:01 am - Reply

Well done. Just doing it for the second time. Last time 18 months. Learned by my mistake never to take a another puff.

• Jen
      Jen January 3, 2018 at 4:05 pm - Reply

Did you ever pick up again?

2. Florence Mamone
    Florence Mamone December 15, 2016 at 8:36 pm - Reply

I’m 52 and have been smoking a pack a day since age 12. After forty years, I now have COPD and suffer from severe Fibromyalgia pain which is made worse by the inflammation caused by smoking. Finally decided to quit 3 days ago, and with the aid of a nicotine patch…am hopeful and determined to stick with it. I already feel less chest congestion, and am inspired by this article to do even more to help revitalize and repair my damaged lungs and overall health and wellbeing, very useful information.

• Stoneheart Killblade
      Stoneheart Killblade February 1, 2017 at 10:43 pm - Reply

How’s it going? Reading “easy way to stop smoking” by Alan Carr helped me quit while feeling pretty good doing it, as he simply takes the fear away of missing out on something seemingly pleasurable (cigarettes), by explaining that there’s nothing pleasurable about smoking. Maybe it’s of some help to you, if quitting nicotine still seems hard even while quitting tobacco (:

• Les Rowe
        Les Rowe February 20, 2017 at 9:46 am - Reply

I also have used the Alan Carr method, I used the book initially but didnt go as well. I have since used the audio book and after a particularly heavy smoking weekend I decided to stop. That was a couple of weeks ago and its great not having the cravings. Literally, remember you are the only one making you smoke. Get that and the rest is easy. I am also 52 and have smoked since I was 12 so believe me when I say it can be done and without the suffering. The cravings are literally a passing moment. Just think “I don’t want a cig actually, ” 🙂 Good luck all

• Barbara Marshall
      Barbara Marshall February 25, 2017 at 11:38 am - Reply

Florence like you I have COPD after 45 years of smoking near 2 pack a day. To get the first help was from my doctor who clearly stated to me, if you’re going to continue smoking there is nothing I can do to help and no point because you are going to die . Simple fact I suppose , what’s the point of medicating when as a smoker I am clearly not helping or letting the Meds do their work. After a 45 minute visit I walked out with a new purpose and very clear understanding quit smoking or die. That’s a month ago, The above article is a good one and most I have already been applying to myself , With the help of 2 inhalers my breathing has improved sadly I will most likely be on them or some type the rest of my life for my abuse of smoking. Good luck everyone trying to quit , do it before what I have happens to you.

• Karen
        Karen October 3, 2017 at 9:26 pm - Reply

Thank you I am on day one and it’s so hard but I do not want COPD. I KNOW SOME PEOPLE That have this and good luck to you.

• M
        M December 26, 2017 at 11:54 am - Reply

I am 32, I quit smoking sigarettes at about 30 but still kept smoking a joint (with tobacco) daily thinking it was not that big of a deal. On christmas eve I suddenly got problems breathing and there is something in my lungs that I cannot cough out. Now I am very worried and I blame myself for this. Apparently you dont have to smoke for many years to do serious damage.

• Adam
          Adam February 22, 2018 at 3:56 am - Reply

I am 33 and quit smoking at the age of 22. But as some others have said i put tobacco in my marijuana. Now my addiction is 10fold and making it hard to quit tobacco and marijuana. I am on day 2 and having wicked insomnia and withdraws. I know now that if i dont stop i for sure will suffer and die a horrible and painful death. I will.not let a plant and piece of paper control my life.!

• Karla Reutiman
      Karla Reutiman September 24, 2017 at 6:48 pm - Reply

I quit smoking 29 years ago. I had smoked for 20 years. My lungs are supposedly at 98% capacity and my fibromyalgia is totally under control. Quitting smoking is the best thing I ever did for myself. You should be very proud of yourself as well.

• Chix
      Chix January 2, 2018 at 7:14 pm - Reply

Have u succeeded? How did you do this ? I am 57 smoking for 40 years and simply lack the willpower. Please help

• Dot
        Dot February 23, 2018 at 1:32 am - Reply

Go to your doctor ask for champion tables take them for 12 weeks they are good I be on them for 3 weeks now I got copd for the last two years

• KATHY lee
        KATHY lee February 28, 2018 at 5:39 pm - Reply

You have to Belgrave in yourself.and keep on going without .I have cops as well.im going to be 60 this July 5th.and I Quit this january.

• Caron
        Caron March 4, 2018 at 1:56 am - Reply

,same boat , my favorite thing about really stopn is the guilt of no love for myself

• steve mcculley
        steve mcculley March 5, 2018 at 4:06 am - Reply

I am 52 years old and a 2 pack a day smoker for 41 years….cold turkey 2 weeks ago been tough the first 5 days but seems to get easier every day….you can do it….if i can good luck and throw them away

3. Maira Sheikh
    Maira Sheikh January 3, 2017 at 7:40 pm - Reply

Hello i need to share my views regarding lung problems. Castor oil pack
    is one of the great remedies to deal with lung infections.
    Healthylifetips.co.uk has various other remedies to deal cleaning of
    lungs and detoxify lungs.

• Lisa
      Lisa October 27, 2017 at 6:50 pm - Reply

Maira: How do you do castor oil compress? Can you explain please? And how does it help? Is their an article I can read for information on castor oil and benefits for the lungs? Thanks Maira!

• Doc Weston
      Doc Weston February 22, 2018 at 11:56 am - Reply

Chatix AND wellbutryn (together) has helped me thru the first month so far. Have been stopped this long before and quit the meds only to return to smoking more. This time I will stay on two wellbutryns and one chantix each day for six months. I swim 1 mile every day even while smoking and don’t notice a difference in my lung capacity.. yet. I’m quitting because I want to correct the vascular changes that the hypertensive nicotine causes and I want to see if I start to heal better like when I was a non smoking 40 year old. At 56… I’m inflamed, my body hurts, my back won’t get better, I’m looking old, and nothing heals on me anymore when I used to be a superman healing wise. Guess we will see.drcolg

4. Jacob R
    Jacob R January 4, 2017 at 6:22 pm - Reply

watched a self-hypnosis video on quitting smoking. It was 8 hours long and it put me to sleep. woke up the next morning and didn’t crave nicotine. It’s been 11 days since I’ve used a nicotine product. Good alternative if you want a nicotine-free cessation aid! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iy6A1IOkIsM

5. roberta
    roberta January 8, 2017 at 7:58 pm - Reply

I have bronchitis that won’t quit. Day 14 today. I quit smoking 15 days ago, but it wasn’t much. Still, doctors won’t give me antibiotics.

• Rose Gummow
      Rose Gummow January 12, 2017 at 1:57 pm - Reply

Buy a bottle of Alpha Omega Lung Flush. Take one tablespoon every morning and night in a bit of pineapple juice. Use it to swallow an Immune 7 capsule (Purica brand). You will be breathing better in a few days!

• Ladylimes
        Ladylimes February 6, 2017 at 7:46 pm - Reply

Thanks will do

• Kyle Cooke
      Kyle Cooke March 15, 2017 at 6:35 pm - Reply

Hi I’m not sure if you’re cured yet but a friend of mine had “bronchitis” and it didn’t go away. He went to the doctor and found out it is actually stage 4 lung cancer. I recommend getting checked out..

6. mel
    mel January 18, 2017 at 12:21 pm - Reply

Im on day 29 and do not get cravings as I only smoked at work and no weekends. I do however have a bad cough and an extreme heaviness on the chest like im ready for a heart attack..doc gave me antibiotics for the infection in my throat, but he said it would take a while for the cilia(hairs on lungs) to grow back.. guess going cold turkey was not the right choice than cutting back and getting body used to less nicotine intake and then quitting..by the way guys all these flu like symptoms are called quitters flu…just strange that in order for the body to heal and reject all the toxins we have to get this sick…

• Christine Blair
      Christine Blair January 22, 2017 at 6:19 am - Reply

I just quit cold turkey after my knee surgery, I’ve been smoke free for 12 days. I didn’t realize getting healthier meant feeling sicker. Never heard of the “quitters flu” thank you I’ll have to check into that.

• Boris Badenuff
        Boris Badenuff January 30, 2017 at 5:07 pm - Reply

Breathe deeply

• Stu Morgan
        Stu Morgan October 13, 2017 at 6:59 pm - Reply

I’m 13 days in and suffering from quitters flu also. it actually feels like you have some kind of virus. I’m lead to believe that it’s your immune system going to work on the cleanup job and makes you feel flu-ey than it actually being a bug or virus. I’m also lead to believe it’s last between 1 to 4 weeks depending on the individual. “good luck everyone”

7. Manish Rao
    Manish Rao February 18, 2017 at 5:01 pm - Reply

Hello i would love to quit Smoking.
    M Smoking Everyday. Even in nights also.
    I Decided to quit completely.
    How Should i Start. When i stress and Tention i feel like i need a cigirate Evenon small Issues i get angry n i feel like i need Cigirate.
    I felt that Because of cigirate my health is not good. M so thin i don’t like my body Shape.
    Sometimes I have a feeling that M not giving proper Sex to my partner. Because m Done so fast within 5 mins. I really feel like shame on me.
    Would you please guide me. How i can rid of smoke.

• Liz Corleto
      Liz Corleto February 21, 2017 at 11:14 am - Reply

When I first quit smoking. I replaced cigarettes with water. At work I would take breaks and would smoke. When I was quitting I would take a break and would get cold water, step outside and drink my water. I lost weight and felt so much better after some time. I did go back to smoking unfortunately. But I now have been smoke free for a 15 months. I did it because I got pregnant. I again replaced cigarettes with water and it worked.

• jitesh
      jitesh March 10, 2017 at 3:58 pm - Reply

i am clear from smoking and all other stuff for more than 20 months . i used to smoke 1 pack a day and weed and alchol too did all this for 3 years then i started this meditation after that i did inner engineering which is advance meditation and never smoked since then https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1tXLPvkKQo&t=233s

• Jessie Swan
      Jessie Swan May 4, 2017 at 6:49 pm - Reply

Read the book Allan Carr’s Easy Way to Stop Smoking. Helped me a lot. You can order it from Amazon.

• Debbie Pierson
        Debbie Pierson June 7, 2017 at 1:03 am - Reply

worked great for me too!

• amit
      amit September 15, 2017 at 9:46 am - Reply

Hi i was a chain smoker i used to smoke like every 5 minutes or whenevr i think i have a cigg, do start a morning walk and try a day not to smoke result will be positive and you wont need a cigg anymore it works on me, try it

• Shiva Kumar
      Shiva Kumar September 26, 2017 at 10:19 am - Reply

Just make up your mind and stop taking the cigarette in your hand. Thats about it. Nothing is impossible. I quit a week back after smoking 20 a day for last three years.

• Felician
      Felician November 12, 2017 at 5:00 am - Reply

Better to quit slowly first things is to find out the alternatives like eating sweets soon after feeling of need of smoking comes out then next step keep your life busy all the time with different activities which will make your body tied like exercise and other your economics activities

• Dr. Fuad
      Dr. Fuad December 18, 2017 at 5:00 am - Reply

Just eat an apple or chewingum instead of cigarette when u feel to take. Take 1 cup hot water with Three spoon Honey add few drops of Lemon every day morning or at night it may stable your sex energy. Say in your mind “Live long happy strong”

• branwen wosika
      branwen wosika December 23, 2017 at 7:04 pm - Reply

I used a nicotine patch and tea tree mint toothpicks helped with the hand to mouth habit. I only used the patches for about 2 weeks. Have been cigarette free for over 2 months with minimal cravings. You can get the toothpicks at The Vitamin Shoppe, both in store and online.

8. agent k
    agent k March 11, 2017 at 2:49 pm - Reply

i quit 2 weeks ago and now have horrific quitters flu. Also had my first sleep sweating overnight. OMG wtf nobody told me about that. Hopefully will pass soon been drinking a lot green tea and cranberry juice to try help detox.

• scott01634
      scott01634 April 8, 2017 at 6:32 am - Reply

sweating is good in fact as it helps get the bad stuff out of your body i go in a sauna often at the moment anything to help flush the crap out.

• David Manopla
        David Manopla April 16, 2017 at 1:51 pm - Reply

That is a fallacy , sweating helps clear the skin, the liver is the only organ that helps cleanse the toxins in your body

• David Manopla
      David Manopla April 16, 2017 at 1:52 pm - Reply

Wish I saw this a month ago OJ!!!!, drink a shot glass every 3 hours, the cold sweats are drop in blood sugar levels, it’s long story but it takes about 7-10 days for your body to resume normal secretion of sugar into the bloodstream after you quit, when you smoke the nicotine stimulates the pancreas to release sugar, no smoke no sugar, hence low blood sugar symptoms .

Spread the word, most people don’t know this little secret

• David Manopla
      David Manopla April 16, 2017 at 1:55 pm - Reply

It’s basically the same diabetic experiences when they overdo the insulin, they get cold sweats, dizzy, feel weak, whats the 1st thing they are told to do? drink OJ, it has healthy sugar and is processed by the body almost immediately

9. Muriel DeLuca Pepper
    Muriel DeLuca Pepper March 14, 2017 at 9:29 pm - Reply

I quit after 43 of smoking. It wasn’t easy, as I had been trying for 10years to stop. I tried hypnosis, nicotine patches, Wellbutrin and chantix. I started to feel it in my lungs and started to hate the taste and smell but still smoked anyway. I was down to 4-5 cigs a day and eventually just stopped. I don’t miss it but I do miss being able to breathe when exercising. It’s the hardest I ever had to do. It’s been 5 months and I don’t have the desire to smoke. If you drink alcohol, I recommend you don’t have a drink for 1 year. It’s the only time I want a cig so I won’t have a drink. Good luck and don’t give up!

• dou
      dou April 22, 2017 at 9:21 pm - Reply

Like an addiction it’s in the mind, and not easily ruled out as you may know from a ten year climb, .. .. .. it has to be replaced with stronger foods such as peppermint squares or cinnamon to rule out the nicotine craving… cigarette chemicals and tar + the toxins and gmo’s from foods your unaware of = a bad structure for a long healthy life

• Hatzic
        Hatzic December 15, 2017 at 7:21 am - Reply

Just look up Allen Carr and use his method – books, audio, online course, in person. You will be a happy non-smoker for life – no replacements or substitutes are suggested with his method. That suggests that freeing yourself from smoking is hard and you are losing something, so you need a substitute. With Alan Carr you won’t need substitutes because you’ll be free and you’ll be happy you are free!

10. Katherine Crockett
    Katherine Crockett March 23, 2017 at 3:14 am - Reply

It has been 38 day today since I had a cigarette. I am so glad I finally after so many tries decided to give them up, I thought it would be hard but if you really want to make your life better it is well worth it. I just want to live my life more healthier, I am starting to exercise and eating more healthy all this is to see my grandbabies grow and have their own family

11. Ashish Gautam
    Ashish Gautam April 13, 2017 at 7:33 am - Reply

Its been about a month now that I smoked. I am having continuous mucus and excessive saliva these days with some tinkling chest pain near the breast bone. If some one can put some light over it, as what these things are sign of?

• Lee William Gregory
      Lee William Gregory May 2, 2017 at 5:51 am - Reply

heart disease

• Juanita Juniper
        Juanita Juniper June 12, 2017 at 5:02 pm - Reply

stop it.

• Maurin
        Maurin November 20, 2017 at 8:12 pm - Reply

Who told u that it is heart disease

12. Billie
    Billie April 17, 2017 at 3:36 am - Reply

Drink more water to support the lungs. 8 cups a day should help. Kick up vitamin c, consume pineapple, raw honey, stay with natual foods.. Push greens! Hope this helps!! Keep on swimming! Good luck, i am on a journey as well.

• Karen
      Karen October 3, 2017 at 9:51 pm - Reply

Thanks I was just wondering about drinking more water. I like greens I am on day one and going crazy !!!

• Muahtaq
      Muahtaq November 20, 2017 at 8:06 pm - Reply

Yes so nice reply

13. dou
    dou April 22, 2017 at 9:15 pm - Reply

This is a great post and it’s not just for quitting smoking or a lung cleanse, these steps can cleanse your liver, arteries, and fight diseases such as tumors & cancer cells… stop smoking and stop the unhealthy delicious snacks like chips, vending machine candy that’s easy to get and soft drinks and the gmo processed foods sold bulk to fast food restaurants

14. Matěj Nimmerrichter
    Matěj Nimmerrichter April 26, 2017 at 8:39 am - Reply

I am on my day no.42 after 10yers of smoking at least 20 a day. And I have to say, excercise was way to go for me during 1st 3weeks. Any time sneek up on me a droped down did 20push ups, or just sit against the wall(like squat with support) for 3minutes..helped a lot

15. Mike Ryan
    Mike Ryan May 16, 2017 at 7:27 pm - Reply

Quit 7 months ago after smoking for 32 years…totally worth the effort…If I can do it anybody can.

16. Roxane
    Roxane September 7, 2017 at 6:49 pm - Reply

Quit July 23rd, feeling great and only have “cravings” about 4 times a day. Mind over matter, smoking is a habit, I keep telling myself that my lungs are smiling because i am not harming them anymore…. i won’t give up and you shouldn’t either.

17. Vivica Cornelly
    Vivica Cornelly September 13, 2017 at 2:31 am - Reply

I am 54 years old and I was told I had COPD 7 years ago. I immediately quit smoking, but as the years pass by my condition got significantly worse, and I started having serious attacks. I used to be able to exercise, but it became so hard because I`m constantly out of breath. My pulmonologist started me on oral steroids to help control symptoms and minimize further damage but my symptoms never stopped getting worse. In January this year, my pulmonologist and I decided to go with natural treatment and was introduced to NewLife Herbal Clinic natural organic COPD Herbal formula, i had a total decline of symptoms with this COPD Herbal formula treatment. The infections, shortness of breath, fatigue, dry cough and other symptoms has subsided. Visit NewLife Herbal Clinic official website ww w. newlifeherbalclinic. com or email [email protected] newlifeherbalclinic. com.

I have had great improvement with my over all respiration with this product and i breath very much easier, i can never be thankful enough to nature

18. Fran
    Fran September 20, 2017 at 9:43 pm - Reply

Did anyone use e cigarettes to help you quit?

19. Maddie
    Maddie September 26, 2017 at 3:35 pm - Reply

I quit smoking the latter part of June this year using Chantix. It really works if you allow it to do its job. I was diagnosed with lung cancer earlier and underwent a lobectomy on my left upper lung. The surgeon stated he got it all and the lymph glands were all clear. I did not finish the Chantix regimen, but still not smoking. It has been about 3 months now and my cravings are not bad. I am still coughing up the nasty mucus caused by smoking. Not sure how long that will last. I had smoked for 56 years and I guess there is a lot of stuff to cough up. Good luck to all of you trying to quit smoking.

20. Help
    Help October 3, 2017 at 12:57 am - Reply

How can I quit smoking my problem is lack of strong will I keep relapsing n postponing until it’s now 25 years 12 cigarettes daily in hiding from people close to me don’t please help. Am diabetes n on irvs.

21. Pete Cockcroft
    Pete Cockcroft October 12, 2017 at 7:22 pm - Reply

I smoked twenty a day minimum for 45 years.
    My cannabis intake was off the scale!
    Coffee , chocolate and convenience/fast food , the odd pint of beer.
    I could not even climb my stairs at home without heart-palpitations and breathing difficulties. Walking anywhere was impossible.
    Yet , I would hop in my car and drive to the pub , cashpoint, drug-deal or shop – spending the rest of my time online , mainly games.
    This spiralled down into virtually zero physical activity and the loss of any motivation – all self-administered destruction I’d blanked out.
    One day I just thought – I’m not going to make it.
    I realised that if I continued smoking – that quite simply , I would die. No question.
    I had tried before to stop smoking cold turkey , and had managed 5 months at best. This time I decided that I would use the Quick-Mist nicotine sprays. I’d stopped the weed 2 months prior to the cigarettes , and had already gone through the screaming hab-dabs and detoxing.
    It has now been nearly 2 weeks without a cigarette , using the spray whenever I felt triggered to react negatively. I have perhaps had no more than 20 squirts on my worst day , which is 20mg of nicotine.
    Early signs are favourable , and I feel that I will be able to reduce frequency quite quickly – if I am careful about my demeanour.
    The mental side of things will take years I’m sure. Dietary suggestions are available everywhere for quitters , and there are several herbal products to help things along.
    Yes , I have heart disease, COPD , the whole shebang – along with a history of bad attitude toward myself.
    What I’m saying is that , if I can have a go at it – then so can you.
    You just have to want to.
    Survival is probably the best reason – and gradual self-monitored health improvement is all you need to carry yourself along on this quest. It is a huge step , almost a new life – but see it as a gift , and the best one you could ever give to yourself as a confirmed smoker.
    You have then re-invented yourself. However boring , dead or unsatisfactory your life is after that moment………. to not sit there and feel some physical and mental benefit is surely impossible. Grasp that with all you have. There will be incredible lows , but for fresh quitters they will be gone in 5 minutes or less. It’s just craving – it’s nothing you can’t sort , once you decide fags aren’t the answer.
    Feel proud of yourself , smell your clothes , taste your food , enjoy your new complexion in the mirror , and the bright eyes that go with it.
    Everyone else is seeing that too. You will soon enjoy the way things fall into place , as you cease to broadcast nervousness and stress to the world.
    I hope it works for you. A good doctor’s check up , a decent diet , fresh air , mild exercise , breathing deeply. These are obvious requirements.
    A less obvious one is to begin to like yourself a little more perhaps.
    Good luck.

• Louise
      Louise January 3, 2018 at 10:23 pm - Reply

This is info is very helpful and inspirational too. I think I’m going to print it off and carry it with me to read the next time I have a craving. I also like the Orange Juice in a shot glass that was suggested in another post to minimize sweats caused by low blood sugar.

• Andrew somers
      Andrew somers February 22, 2018 at 10:10 pm - Reply

You have just replayed my life in front of my eyes today I have decided enough is enough I have thrown my tobacco and weed away this is a new me!

22. Glenda Bartram
    Glenda Bartram October 15, 2017 at 8:44 am - Reply

I’m try very hard to stop smoking what can I do please help

• KATHY LEE
      KATHY LEE February 28, 2018 at 5:53 pm - Reply

Just stop,That’s the only way to stop.You don’t need to replace with something else.Dont need that.also keep positive and keep buzy.its mind over matter.and you all don’t need a book on quitting that’s really not needed.just Belgrave in your self.and don’t give in.good luck.

23. Charles Armstrong
    Charles Armstrong October 19, 2017 at 4:04 pm - Reply

I am 62 and now 5 1/2 months stopped smoking. I started at 15 and from 30 yrs smoked 2 packs a day. I feel confident I have stopped for good, but don’t take it for granted.

For me the most important things have been:
    – making up my mind that I have stopped for good and won’t smoke again
    – every time I get a pang of craving I tell myself “No, I do not want to smoke a cigarette. That would be a disaster. The craving will pass”
    – I also regularly tell myself “I’m so glad I stopped smoking” (and I am)

I had stopped several times before for up to 3 months, notably using Alan Carr’s Easy Way To Stop Smoking. I used it again this time, and made a list of of what to think/tell myself at various points in quitting.

Alcohol triggered intense cravings and led to me start again in the past. So, I did not drink at all for the first 3 months of non-smoking. I now drink very lightly; maybe 1 glass of wine with a meal, or one beer at a bar with friends.

I did experience mild flu like symptoms at first, and coughed for the first three months, with phlegm coming off my lungs. I went through a period of sweating at night.

I know now I smoked because I was a drug addict to nicotine, not because I enjoyed smoking. All through my life I always wanted to stop and regretted starting. I was afraid I would miss smoking but I don’t. I’m delighted I stopped.

Anyone can stop smoking and enjoy life again. In my country the U.K. 15 million people have stopped smoking in the last 20 years.

Good luck everyone. You really can do it.

24. Joseph Mugabo
    Joseph Mugabo October 26, 2017 at 11:48 am - Reply

Am now 5 days but feel some pain in the left hand shoulder

25. Muahtaq
    Muahtaq November 20, 2017 at 8:08 pm - Reply

Easy to leave….i left from the last one month bt chest congestion still …..

26. Jai
    Jai November 20, 2017 at 8:52 pm - Reply

Can anyone help me out here!?..i am a 19 year old,i totally quit smoking a week ago i used to smoke a pack in a week past 2½ years..now I wanna detoxify my body & regain my stamina and health back .. how do i!? Anyone..!?also i am unable to take deep breaths and long runs are jst smthing i can dream of!!will i be able to achieve tht heal!?thanks for reading it.. drop a comment .it would mean much to me..thnx again!#neversmokinagain

• Raj
      Raj March 3, 2018 at 3:30 pm - Reply

Hi Jay ‘

Great move buddy keep going I had smoked cigarettes from 2010till September 2017 I quit cold turkey from last 6 months it is great decision to quit and the lungs will improve in just 3months time as I am 24 it took me just 3months to improve and your only 19so your body will do much better don’t worry make sure to keep away from your smoking friends as well

27. OMAR
    OMAR November 26, 2017 at 3:15 pm - Reply

Finally quite after trying few times. My motivation is to be healthier and have quality of life.
    I start smoking at 12 lighting up the cigarettes for family members, now at 38 I’m tired of been hook!!! Is been 7 weeks and I quite cold Turkey ! Yes we can

28. Riya
    Riya November 26, 2017 at 11:01 pm - Reply

Although I do not smoke regularly but recently I smoked in November this year after quitting it for almost more than a year and that too thrice or probably four times. I have decided to quit it forever. What precautions do I need to take to stay healthy ?? Have I caused much damage to myself that might prove irreversible after sometime ?? Although I don’t feel anything that bad as of now except short breath and a bit of coughing. I was addicted to it once but now it actually doesn’t matter to me whether I smoke or not so I don’t usually do it on a regular basis, only when I am over stressed then only I go for it still I somehow feel a bit scared as I have a family history of cancer. Should I consult a doctor or are there other ways by which I can regain the “almost normal state” of my body and lungs ??

29. David Sparks
    David Sparks December 11, 2017 at 4:32 am - Reply

I quit smoking I smoke from the time I was 12 years old until I was 48 I tried to quit the million times just couldn’t do it then one day I got up I lit a cigarette he couldn’t breathe right threw it out the window I folded my hands bowed my head and ask God to please help me stop then it was killing me it was killing my two sons my oldest boy asked when he was four to stop smoking because he didn’t want to lose his dad and I tried I couldn’t do it then my youngest son came it a year after he was born God helped me but now I have COPD I was smoking five or six packs a day when I quit I drive a truck so I’m up all the time and I didn’t have anything better to do but smoke drive down the road so Not only was I smoking but all the smoke that I smoked stayed in the truck with me I’ll probably never breathe right again but I think God for helping me quit that I just wish I could figure out a way so that I can get some more air be able to do more stuff with my kids I hate myself for what I’ve done not only did I Rob myself but I stole time for my kids to I hope they forgive me and I hope God forgives me

30. Michelle portlock
    Michelle portlock December 12, 2017 at 2:03 am - Reply

Started at 12 quit at 68 am now 74 other complications besides COPD. Back in the day no one. Knew what smoking would do to you. So you now have a generation of ex smokers with COPD and other related ailments. Glad I guit, but I still like the smell, too bad we can’t have do overs. Good luck too all that are giving it their best shot.

31. M Moody
    M Moody December 13, 2017 at 2:54 am - Reply

Day 5…yesterday was the worst for craving (on the vape sp just did that…not the same) but today the coughing started and oh man….30 years to smoking is not being kind to me! I am not really coughing anything up yet just that hurtful cough calling me a dummy! My back and throat hurt so bad. I pray that another few days of this is all. I definitely can breathe better and I’m glad I decided to quit. Anyone else have the 5 to 8 day hack fest?

32. Mahdi
    Mahdi December 13, 2017 at 3:44 pm - Reply

I stopped 9 days ago after smoking since 12 I am 35 and I don’t miss it. I feel amazing and I Am sleeping really well. Body feels awesome

33. Pritam Sarkar
    Pritam Sarkar December 18, 2017 at 5:03 pm - Reply

I am a patient of depression.I smoked almost 17 years.I just want to stop it but can’t.How now lessen smoking to 3-4 cigarettes from 16 nos.But this also affected me with cough problem.How to cure naturally.

34. edwin
    edwin December 23, 2017 at 10:35 am - Reply

I quit close to a month now i have been smoking sin 2010 i’m 24 years old since the day i stop i started coffin so ever since then i became slim and also have a fever in my body if i breath most time i will be feeling some kind of pain beside the right pat of my rib

35. Teresa viola jackson
    Teresa viola jackson December 24, 2017 at 6:05 am - Reply

I am 50 years old its 12 am dec 24,2017 i just put down my new ports for good im sure of that i have smoked for about 35 years can i help myself .. I never did fiend for nicotine ..i only smoked because my sister use to have me hold them so i just keeped smoking .. what are the healthy ways without medication that I can clear my lungs also and do you have any advice that I can do to clear my kidneys and liver naturally

36. Bobby
    Bobby December 25, 2017 at 4:23 am - Reply

I smoked for 41 years.could smoke a cigarette I keep coughing after every draw.so I got tired of the coughing so I threw them down but after that body got mad and starting retaliation against me.put me in hospital 2 times for breathing…didn’t breath good.hospital said I had copd after going to the lung doctor comes to find out I only have asthma.i have flare up have to watch out for smells.its been almost 7 months being smoke free.before I was doing 4 breathing treatments a day now it as needed basic.if I can do it any one can.trush me your body will thank you for getting rid of the 7000 chemicals in just 1 cigarette

37. joseph aragaw
    joseph aragaw December 29, 2017 at 6:45 pm - Reply

thnks it helps

38. Ayaan
    Ayaan January 9, 2018 at 11:47 am - Reply

What about the physical difficulties that happens after quitting smoking

39. Ryan Phillips
    Ryan Phillips January 11, 2018 at 1:24 am - Reply

Hey guys! I just wanted to share a little something. I started smoking when I was 18 and it was about a pack every 2 days or so, and every time I would walk up 4 stairs I would already feel winded (only 145 lbs.). Maybe a year back I completely stopped smoking cigarettes, stopped drinking, and started working out because I was exhausted and gained a lot of fat and was at 176 lbs. I had done a smoothie detox and lost 20 pounds in 10 days, and was running and doing p90x3. I’m 23 years old now and just started smoking again about 3 days ago and man, I feel like I’m breathing through a straw compared to where I was at before. I felt so good before that cigarette. So today I grabbed the rest of the cigarettes and snapped them in half and now I influence all of you to please stop smoking. It’s a terrible expensive habit. You spend about $1000 a year if not more on them. I hear people at my job everyday that smoke coughing up a lung every 5 minutes, and my great aunt passed away from this. My best friends mother was close to her death and was told she wouldn’t be alive the next day, quit smoking and still alive 5 years later with a new husband and a happier life. I can see the improvement in her condition just over Facebook pictures. So please stop smoking, I’m forever done today and I’m going to do whatever it takes to get my lungs back to 100% starting with this artical. Hope y’all enjoy, love y’all!

40. Todd
    Todd January 11, 2018 at 4:53 am - Reply

I quit 7 days ago. Simply decided I was done smoking for good this time. I’m 51 and started when I was 11. It was my stand by and go to thing since as long as I can remember. A competitive swimmer all thru the ‘80’s, with a Div One scholarship in undergrad… always one of the best swimmers in the nation ( I sometimes reflect and wonder how much better I would have been if I did not smoke a pack per day back in those days! Smoked on my way to practice and relentlessly after practice each night studying!). Then med school and late nights studying with my trusty stand by Benson and Hedges to keep me awake and alert! Then I began body building and doing triathlons, never considering how smoking a pack per day might be affecting my performance, after all I was in my thirties! Many nights after work, I’d take a scenic and long route home in my 911, top down… putting the events of the day into a manageable order mentally and the insanely rigorous patient schedule into proper perspective, happily smoking my Benson and Hedges… a quiet peace, just the crescendo of the Erving engine noises, the sounds of wonderful jazz music thru the speakers… Then mostly smoke free thru the forties…. then divorce brings out the represssed “friend”, with a vengeance!! Two years and five months, one to two packs per day every day…. ridiculous!!! Felt like a hospital resident, out of control… finally put this to rest last week… signed up for three sprint triathlons and two natural body building contests. This will be a true renaissance….. a New Beginning…. I intend to be done. Entrusted it to my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ this time! He Alone will heal me and strengthen me thru this time! If I can do this, ANYONE can!!!!! Let it go, pray, have Faith and Believe….

• Mike
      Mike March 2, 2018 at 3:56 pm - Reply

Amen brother. I too am 51. Smoking 30 years. Would like to know how you did it. I just loss my wife last month to lung cancer. You think that would of made me quit?? No. So, I have mild copd now. Would like tips or any info on products to use or anything to help me get my lungs back in shape. God Bless

41. Salah
    Salah January 12, 2018 at 2:46 pm - Reply

I quit smoking from a month and still feel chest pain ?

• Jasmine
      Jasmine February 24, 2018 at 11:43 am - Reply

Me 2 I also still feel it and cold coming up still. But I breath better lungs are just healing

42. Mary Rouche
    Mary Rouche February 19, 2018 at 11:41 am - Reply

I have had emphysema for about five years. I was on oxygen during the day but not at night. I could go about two hours without the oxygen, and then I need it. I had a converter in the house and oxygen tanks for when I go shopping, etc. I am 64 years old and in relatively good health. The doctor said it was caused by a combination of smoking, dust here in Vegas, and 30 years of smog in California. I believed I will always need the oxygen to breathe. I quit smoking 15 years ago. But the damage has been done. January 2017 my pulmonologist and I decided to go with natural treatment and was introduced to Green House Herbal Clinic natural organic Emphysema Herbal formula, i had a total decline of symptoms with this Emphysema Herbal formula treatment. Visit Green House Herbal Clinic official web-site w w w . greenhouseherbalclinic . com. The infections, shortness of breath, fatigue, dry cough and other symptoms has subsided.  I am very pleased with this treatment. I breath very well now and exercise regularly, sometimes i totally forget i ever had Emphysema, I am thankful to nature, the medics failed. Share with friends!!

43. rajj
    rajj February 22, 2018 at 12:08 pm - Reply

i smoke 24 in a day

44. Jasmine
    Jasmine February 24, 2018 at 11:41 am - Reply

I stopped a month ago and I have still been going threw a lot I want to smoke so bad anxiety got worse but I’m sticking to it I wend completely crazy for a day or 2 but I’m doing ok I hope I get better I did it cold turkey and it sucks but I did it and am very proud

45. Jean Hester
    Jean Hester February 26, 2018 at 11:36 pm - Reply

Standard Herbs Home your herbal remedy really helped me to cure the deadly COPD disease that almost took my life, i just want to say thank you and how much it really meant to me, i will make sure i tell the whole world about your herbal medicine, and make sure i donate some funds to your orphanage home. Thanks so much Standard Herbs Home.

46. Kathleen Frost
    Kathleen Frost February 27, 2018 at 6:49 am - Reply

I think I’ve had fibromyalgia for many years but was diagnosed approximately 5 years ago. I was working at Walmart and was just exhausted. Not the tiredness that sleep helps. I mean totally exhausted, with muscle pain. My primary doctor diagnosed fibromyalgia. He prescribed Cymbalta around 4 years ago. Cymbalta was approved for Fibromyalgia treatment. Although it did relieve some of the pain, I still suffered from fatigue. November 2017 my doctor started me on Green House Herbal Clinic fibromyalgia Herbal mixture, 7 weeks into treatment I improved dramatically. At the end of the full treatment course, the disease is totally under control. No case of fatigue, muscle pain,mood swings, or nervousness. Visit Green House Herbal Clinic official website I am strong again and able to go about daily activities.‌ This Herbal Formula is Incredible!! My life is back.

47. Michael Gardiner
    Michael Gardiner March 2, 2018 at 11:56 am - Reply

After nearly sixty years of regular smoking, nine weeks ago I went cold turkey following two chest infections in quick succession. It has really not been all that bad, though I miss the ritual of rolling a cigarette. I was not aware that there are so many quitters symptoms so reading this message board has been most helpful in understanding the quitting process. My thanks to all of you who have shared your experiences.

48. Uyanda
    Uyanda April 16, 2018 at 4:22 am - Reply

Am 30 year old men smoked for 15 years now am 4 months smoke free what make this hard i quite smoking and drinking some time but am still going strong

49. Avinash
    Avinash April 20, 2018 at 10:22 am - Reply

I’m 32 now.. Started smoking at the age of 21.. I’m having problems with sore throat and cough almost every day from past 1 year.. I completely became allergic to cold weather & water.. I quit smoking due to the same problem.. Now it’s been 3 to 4 months since I quit smoking.. I’m not having any problem with soar throat but still allergic to cold water.. I’m from India & it’s summer now.. I’m afraid to consult a doctor on my problem.. Someone help me to get out of my allergics i.e cough when drinking cold water & soar throat in winter.. I never had any problems of such kind before an year..