The Wake RTA is a tank made by the Wake Mod Company, and the designers of the Dotmod created it. It has a postless build deck, bottom-fed airflow control, and a 24 K gold plated interior.
The exterior is made from anodized aluminum. The tank holds 3.3 ml and is top-filled through huge juice ports that can accommodate bottle tips of different sizes. Overall, this is an excellent tank that produces outstanding flavor and exceptional vapor.
Table of Contents
Unboxing the Package
The vape tank is in a cylinder-shaped box, and it is located on the left in a red foam insert. Beneath the insert, there is an extra drip tip and several accessories.
Also included is a spare glass. The tank feels well made, and it has an excellent paint job. The golden-colored metal is very bright and makes the tank stand out.
Internal Build Quality and Design
The Wake RTA measures 24 mm at the base and has a gold plated 510 connection pin. It uses a female proprietary drip tip, which will drive a lot of vapers off. But it is very comfortable, and there are no issues with it. The drip tip is cylindrical, and it is open on both sides. Two o-rings are located at the top of the vape tank, and the drip tip fits over it, making a reasonably good seal.
The machining on this vape tank is excellent, resulting in every part fitting snugly with no rattling or play. The top cap has a matte anodized finish, and the paint job was done well.
Additionally, there is an o-ring under the top cap that helps keep everything secure. The top cap’s exterior is rough and knurled, making it easier to handle. The juice ports are located beneath the top cap, and they are large enough to accommodate different sized bottles.
The vape tank has an impressive interior. The deck is gold plated, and it is postless, with several grub screws for securing the coils. The barrel is shaped like a cone, and the tank has a wide chimney. These two features are the reason why the flavor on this vape tank is so outstanding. It is best described as tight and restrictive.
An airflow control ring serves five holes that can be closed individually. The AFV is held in place by an o-ring that keeps everything stable.
The Build Deck
The Wake RTA has a postless, gold plated build deck with four terminals.
- The screws are located on the sides, and they fit the threaded holes perfectly.
- The threading on the base is perfect, as well.
- An enclosure wraps around the deck that is held in place with an o-ring.
- Two large airflow holes are at the bottom of the vape tank.
- The post holes are sufficiently large enough to run a single and dual coils. These post holes may look small, but they are large enough to handle the job.
How to Build and Wick the Wake RTA
These types of build decks are quite challenging, so pay attention to detail when determining the length of the leads. Beware of cutting them too short, and just be careful when doing it.
- Once the right length is found, cutting the leads will get easier.
- When the leads are cut, put them on the build deck and then tighten the hex screws.
- Afterward, position the wires and carefully pulse them until all the hotspots are gone.
- Next, take the cotton wicking, wet the ends, and put them through the coils.
- Soaking the ends will make it easier to put them into the wicking ports and stay in place better. Also, align the wicking ports with the ends of the wick beforehand.
- Next, put the vape juice in the tank and allow several minutes for the wicking and coils to get saturated.
How Long Do the Coils Last?
Coils correctly broken-in can last over two weeks, depending on how often they are used. Prime the coils, wicking holes, and wicking material, and then take a few hits without turning on the battery.
Doing this gets the vape juice into the cotton faster. Be careful not to get nicotine in the mouth. If this happens, thoroughly rinse the inside of the mouth with water and spit it out.
When taking the first hits, the user should start at a low wattage and work his or her way up slowly. If these tips are followed, coil life can be extended one to two weeks.
How to Use the Wake RTA
The first thing to do is to buy a set of wires. Framed Alien coils should do.
- Be sure to prime the wires as pointed out in the previous paragraph.
- Next, cut the leads to the appropriate length and then put them on the build deck.
- Once this step is completed, tighten the hex screws.
- When the screws are tightened, wick the coils, and then add the vape juice.
- Allow five to seven minutes for the vape juice to thoroughly saturate the wires and wicking.
How Does It Vape?
The vapor and flavor are excellent, and there is not much room for improvement in that category. It is primarily a flavor tank, though.
This tank brings the flavor out no matter what vape juice is poured on the coil. Even though the coils do not cover the airflow holes, the taste is still delicious. The reason why the wires’ position in relation to the holes does not affect the flavor is that the chamber is so compact.
Cloud production is also outstanding if a double coil build is used. Single coils also produce respectable clouds. However, this vape tank was built more with flavor lovers in mind.
- The airflow is smooth and restrictive, having a good range.
- For the best drags, run double coils.
- There is some turbulence on single coil builds, but nothing that detracts from the vaping experience.
What Would Have Made This RTA Better?
As previously stated, this tank generates excellent flavor and significant amounts of vapor. But, there is always room for improvement. The best thing to do would be to make a complete kit.
As of now, the package only comes with a tank and no coils. It would be nice if they would sell these tanks as part of a starter kit and with two or three coil options. Having to make two separate purchases is not very convenient.
Also, if a kit with the coils included, new vapers could take comfort, knowing they are getting the wires best suited for the tank.
Should You Buy the Wake RTA Vape Tank?
There is no reason not to buy this tank, especially for flavor lovers. Even cloud chasers will appreciate it. The single coil build brings the flavor out of the vape juices, and the double builds produce big clouds.
Since the vape tank is 510 compatible, it can fit a lot of different mods. The build deck has no posts, which makes the coils challenging to build, so beginner vapers should consider buying something else. However, novice users willing to dedicate an hour or so to mastering building on postless decks will reap huge rewards.
The only reason not to buy this RTA vape tank is that the package does not come with coils. But, the problem can be solved by spending a few extra dollars on a set of wires. The incomplete package is not a huge issue, but it is quite annoying and aggravating as written previously.
Wake RTA Specifications
|Vape Juice Capacity:||3.3 mL|
|Terminal Openings:||2.5 x 2 mm|
|Colors:||Gold, Black, Blue, and Red|
Pros & Cons
- Excellent flavor
- Respectable cloud production
- Smooth and restrictive airflow
- Affordable price
- Perfectly machined threads
- No coils come with the tank
- Slight turbulence on single coil builds
- Proprietary drip tip
Final Thoughts about the Wake RTA
This RTA vape tank is of high quality; of that, there is no doubt. The build and design are excellent, especially when it comes to the threads. The threading is smooth, and every part fits like a jigsaw puzzle.
Anyone who has been looking for an affordable tank that can handle single and double coil builds will appreciate the Wake RTA. There is only one flaw, and it is that there are no wires in the package. Hopefully, the manufacturers will create a starter kit that includes a couple of coils.
Leave a comment