If you’re looking for an easy to use, pen style sub ohm device then look no further! The KangerTech Subvod is a high-performing and incredibly appealing device coming into the market for around $36.00. Coming with two different starter kit options you have the ability to choose between 2 different tank sizes; this review is based on the larger 3.2ML Tank.
Table of Contents
- TopTank Nano-S
- Subvod Battery
- SSOCC 0.5 Sub Ohm Coil
- Spare Pyro Glass
- Micro USB Cable
- User Manual
Design, Look and Feel
When you first see the KangerTech Subvod device you get a blast from the past, instead of taking the normal box shaped mod like the majority of sub ohm devices; they’ve decided to stay traditional and go with the old school pen style, and it works incredibly well. Providing a seamless and clean design while still managing to provide the same amount of features as some of the leading sub ohm devices.
Size and Weight
The overall height of the KangerTech Subvod is around 137mm (including the tank), this makes the device slightly larger than the majority of sub ohm vaporizers. The pen also has a decent weight to it, providing a high quality feel to the stainless steel construct while ensuring the device doesn’t feel too heavy in your pockets when carrying it around.
You can expect the KangerTech Subvod to come with the majority of features that leading sub ohm devices host. Here is a list of the most important features available to you from the KangerTech Subvod:
- Adjustable Airflow — Just below the tank is a twisty metal ring, this gives you control over the airflow of the device, with two large holes located on either side of the tank you can position the metal ring to cover the holes; reducing or increasing the amount of airflow to the device.
- LED Indicator — There is a LED Indicator located behind the power button, this can be used to indicate when the device is powered on when the device is powering off as well as when the battery is dying.
- Straight Through Battery — You can use the Subvod when it’s charging! Unfortunately, the port is located on the bottom of the device so you can’t stand the device up when charging but it’s a nice addition to be able to vape while charging.
- Large Clear Tank — One of the most appealing things about this device is the large clear tank, the Pyrex glass that they’ve chosen provides a huge amount of strength to this pen while managing to give you an appealing design and honestly a lot of information! At a glance, you can easily tell exactly how much juice you have left. Also, you can see the condition of the atomizer. Kanger provides a spare Pyrex glass in case the original breaks.
Using the KangerTech Subvod
When taking into consideration all of the hardware and features that the Subvod has to offer, there is no surprise that it’s a well-performing device. The only real surprise is the low price tag. When using the device, you can expect a decent amount of vapor production, a well-balanced flavor and battery consumption throughout your day.
The Quality of the Cloud
As mentioned above, the vapor production on this device is simply outstanding. When using a typical mouth to lung pulling method, you can expect to have some of the largest and most dense clouds you would see from a sub ohm pen in a long while.
There is a perfect balance between flavor and vapor, however, without a variable temperature or wattage setting, you will have to find specific flavors to ensure you get the full potential from your atomizer.
The low price of this device makes it great for a starter kit or entry level sub ohm device, with the vapor production of a leading device.
You can expect to get around full day’s use from the KangerTech Subvod, however, if you find you vape quite a lot then it may just cut short on battery life before the end of the day. I would advise you to carry a spare charger just in case you get the opportunity to charge it at some point in your day; it won’t hurt.
You can expect a charge time of around 2 – 3 hours.
There are some pretty great things about the KangerTech Subvod that make this device great. However, there are also a couple of things I feel they can improve on just to make this device that little bit better. Here are some of the most common problems or missing features associated with this device:
- Large Pyrex Tank – If you’re quite a clumsy person, then you’re going to have a serious problem with this large Pyrex glass tank. Although it’s visually appealing and simply great to look at, there are some slight problems when it comes down to how strong it makes the tank. To put it plainly; if you drop this pen, it’s probably going to smash the tank.
- Better LED Indicator – I did mention that the LED indicator provides you with detail such as power on and off, and when the battery is empty. It would be nice if Kanger could add a display to give us some indication as to how much battery is left on the device.
Assembling & Maintenance
It’s important to read the user manual provided with the device before attempting to use it. With pens such as this, you will always get the most performance from it when you fully understand how to use the device. However, here are some of the things you’ll need to know:
- You’ll need to ensure the atomizer has liquid in the coil; otherwise, when you pull from the device, you will get a burned hit. Ensure you follow the instructions found in the user manual to prime the coil correctly. You can do this by removing the atomizer and placing liquid on the exposed parts of the coil or wick.
- Refilling the Tank — You will have to do this hundred of times throughout your time with this device, so it’s important you understand how to do this correctly. Within the user manual, you will find information on how to correctly refill the tank. It can be done via a specific access point; commonly found on either the top or the bottom of the device, it can be used to easily get to the tank without having to remove other components.
It’s important to keep on top of maintaining your device, this will greatly remove the chances of breaking or damaging the device. Ensuring the device is kept free from any dust build up or dried juices on the internal of the device.
They provide you sometimes with tools to clean the pen if so, you will also be given instructions on how to correctly clean the device.
Cleaning the device will normally be as follows:
- Wipe down the exterior of the device with a cloth, to remove dust. Doing this will stop any dust getting inside the device.
- Clean the internals of the device removing any buildup of dried juice or liquids. To ensure a full connection is always being made throughout the device.
When removing and attaching components it’s important that you only tighten each of the components fingers tight. If you tighten the components a little too much, it will commonly lead to issues firing from the battery and the atomizer. What can happen is it can damage the connection, and in so damage the correct connection needed to power the device.
To reduce the risk of firing issues, always make sure the device is clean, and you’re not over tightening components.
You can find any additional information in the user manual provided with the starter kit. Always use the user manual before going online for information.
Kanger Subvod Tank Specifications
|Kanger Subvod Tank|
|Output Voltage:||3.7V (overcharge protected)|
|Minimum Coil Resistance:||0.4ohm|
Pros & Cons
- Great battery life
- Easy to use
- Great Performance
- Higher Experience Margin
- Non-Variable Wattage
- Minor Structure Design issues
Coming in at $36.00 the KangerTech Subvod is one of the cheapest starter kits I’ve seen on the market to date. 9/10
Hosting a simplistic, clean cut and appealing design. Despite the limitations, the design of the Subvod is pretty great as well. 8/10
Hosting a simplistic, clean cut and appealing design. Despite the limitations, the design of the Subvod is pretty great as well.
The KangerTech Subvod is a great Sub Ohm device. Catering to entry level vapors, or simply vapors looking for an easy alternative, it’s a great device, with a small price tag and some great hardware. There’s no doubt it will continue to make sales and be a strong competitor in the starter kit world for days to come. Grabs yours from KangerTechs website now!