//Best Home Remedies to Help Quit Smoking
Best Home Remedies to Help Quit Smoking 2018-10-11T07:57:46+00:00

Best Home Remedies to Help Quit Smoking

three types of ginger

As more people become aware of the dangers tobacco products present to human health, the demand for smoking cessation aids continues to increase at a rapid pace. While many pharmaceutical remedies are effective, they can become rather expensive for those who are living on a budget.

Luckily there are some remedies which may be done at home for little cost, often using items you already have, or ones you can find easily at the store.

Water

Part of the reason that nicotine is so addictive and so hard to get rid of is because it permeates your body as a toxin. It gets into your system and is very hard to get out. But water is a natural detoxifier. It will purge your system better than just about anything. And your body needs water to counteract many of the harmful effects of tobacco and nicotine.

The water helps you heal and it enables you recover from smoking while you are trying to quit. As you abandon your regular smoking habits your body will heal on its own and start to detoxify, but water gives it an extra boost, and it speeds up the process, helping you fight your addictions that much more.

Ginger

As your try to quit smoking, you will likely start to feel nauseous. This is one of the most common symptoms people experience when they try to quit. To combat that nausea, you can take ginger, either in tablets, capsules or as a tea. It will calm your stomach and help you overcome the nausea. And it might keep you from being tempted to go back to the cigarettes for relief.

Vitamins

As you fight the toxins in your body, you may feel like you need some help. Multivitamins, especially those containing Vitamins A, C, and E are excellent for repairing your body and giving it the essential nutrients it needs to expel toxins. What you are looking for as you combat your addiction is something that can ease the withdrawal symptoms and make you better able to handle your cravings. Vitamins reenergize your system and give you the strength to fight back.

Ginseng

If you want to combat the cravings specifically, then ginseng may be the key. You can use about a spoonful of ginseng powder and add it to your juices, cereal, oatmeal or soup. It is best to take it during the morning. That way it can fight your cravings all day. If you find that it is not enough for your cravings, then you can increase your dosage or take it more frequently.

You may already be taking ginseng if you take a multivitamin, so look at what your vitamins have to see if you really need to take ginseng in addition.

Grape Juice

The biggest part of conquering your addiction and the symptoms of withdrawal is to get the toxins out of your body. Nicotine is one of those toxins, and once it is out, you should not experience any more cravings or withdrawal symptoms. Increasing your water intake is a great way to do so, but you can fight even harder by drinking grape juice daily. The acids in the juice are natural detoxifiers and they will rejuvenate your system and cleanse out the toxins faster.

It is the toxins that are causing you to feel cravings and that keep your energy levels down. By using detoxifiers you can boost your energy levels and start to feel better much faster.

Detoxing Your Body

While the concept of detoxifying your body using herbs and tonics is debatable, the body does do a good job of detoxifying itself. There are things you can do to help this process move along more swiftly.

Drinking enough water is one of the best ways to help your body detoxify itself. Your body is made mostly of water, and most people do not drink nearly enough. When you give up cigarettes, make sure you are drinking the recommended 8 glasses of water per day. You can also drink half your bodyweight in ounces per day as well, if that helps you remember more easily. For instance, if someone weighed 200 pounds, they would need to drink 100 ounces of water each day.

Distracting Yourself

The nicotine in tobacco products is what makes them so addicting. When you give up smoking cold turkey, you may suffer from some major withdrawal symptoms ranging from nausea to irritability to jitters.

One way to ensure you don’t give in to the urge, is to distract yourself from your cravings. This may mean something different for different people. For instance, you might engage in one of your favorite hobbies so as to not think about smoking. Some find success with chewing gum whenever they feel the urge to smoke, according to WebMD. In some cases the action of chewing on something, such as gum or food, eases the cravings.

Offer Yourself Incentives

Some smokers find that all they need is a little incentive to stop smoking. WebMD mentions a smoker whose family member offered money for each day she didn’t smoke a cigarette. For others, just thinking about what could be purchased using money formerly spent on cigarettes is enough to encourage them to quit. Make a list of some things you have wanted to purchase but haven’t. Determine how long you will have to go without smoking to save the money you need to make your purchase. Another incentive is taking a trip. Determine how many packs of cigarettes it will cost to take this trip, and begin right away. Having something to look forward to and having a more concrete goal just might make the process that much easier.

Eating Healing Herbs

There are some herbal remedies which may help offset some withdrawal symptoms related to quitting nicotine. According to Home Remedy Shop, ginger may help alleviate nausea withdrawal symptoms, while oatmeal could help the body detoxify itself faster. Studies have also shown that some herbs, such as St. John’s Wort, may also lessen the urge to smoke.

51 Comments
  1. comment-avatar

Simonette zulu

September 19, 2017 at 12:35 am Reply

Will try it coz I really wants to quit ASAP

Zanele

January 3, 2018 at 7:17 am Reply

hi Simonette Zulu, did you manage to quit smoking? please tell me how?
      I need help ASAP

Siya

May 30, 2018 at 7:48 am Reply

To the remedies given you add something Powerful which is Prayer to the Most High God in the name of Jesus Christ to strength to overcome this is the way I deed it….

Ryan Hamilton

July 26, 2018 at 5:08 pm Reply

Tyran GORHAM

September 27, 2018 at 11:22 am Reply

Absolutely The Most High is most definitely tantamount and Step 1. Fruits vegetables, preferably Aloe, Coconut, and Mango!!!!! It’s amazing!!!!

2. comment-avatar

Patricia A Kennedy

October 29, 2017 at 6:01 am Reply

I want to quit so bad. I need a way.

Aman

July 6, 2018 at 11:34 am Reply

Brother please set your mind your mind is a powerful herb

3. comment-avatar

Kendra Griffin

November 14, 2017 at 11:11 pm Reply

Thank you so much for the information. I really want to quit smoking so I’m going to give these remedies a try. Thank you again…

Gabriela

July 23, 2018 at 6:34 pm Reply

I quit 15yrs ago. I was smoking 2 pks of Marlboro a day. I went to a group hypnotist that has o sessions at hotels. $50 1hr walked out of there n threw my ciggs away. Even though my husband smokes i never had the urge agsin.

4. comment-avatar

Camillya

December 8, 2017 at 4:56 am Reply

Thank you. I’m going to attempt these remedies.

5. comment-avatar

Jo ramos holmes

December 22, 2017 at 11:18 am Reply

Fabulous information will give to my patient who smokes 3 packs of cigarettes a day.

USA need doctor

June 3, 2018 at 7:59 am Reply

Hi Jo Ramos holmes

6. comment-avatar

Mizlovely

December 27, 2017 at 5:15 pm Reply

wow… very good home remedy’s, didn’t know so many were in the home.. very good info.

Thanks,

7. comment-avatar

Nancy Myers

December 30, 2017 at 11:23 pm Reply

I have to quit smoking now but I did it before and I did not do so good I have to safe money now it so much money I loss

8. comment-avatar

Lorraine Jeter

January 4, 2018 at 5:14 pm Reply

Wil pray its not too late LOL

Troy Fields

August 2, 2018 at 3:55 pm Reply

I want to stop

9. comment-avatar

Tilak

January 13, 2018 at 9:40 am Reply

Thank for these information.i want quit smoke.

10. comment-avatar

Regina

February 22, 2018 at 11:13 pm Reply

The water really works.

11. comment-avatar

Sonya Parker

February 26, 2018 at 6:29 am Reply

I want to quit so bad. I just found out that I have Severe Bronchitis and emphysema and willing to do just about anything. I hate Water But will make it my Best Friend. Have this worked for anyone? Please do share!

Christine

July 19, 2018 at 12:11 pm Reply

Try using water enhancers (Country Time lemonade, Crystal Light water enhancers, etc.). I, like you, hate drinking water but it definitely helps with the water enhancers.

12. comment-avatar

Inara

March 4, 2018 at 10:37 pm Reply

I’m trying to help my mom quit smoking so thanks for these tips!

13. comment-avatar

Kenny

March 10, 2018 at 9:05 pm Reply

Me too. Seem like the harder I try to quit the more I smoke

14. comment-avatar

Miss Sa

March 13, 2018 at 7:43 pm Reply

Hi thank you for this home remedies I will definitely try them I hope they work for me.

15. comment-avatar

Brooke S

March 20, 2018 at 10:43 pm Reply

I quit smoking after 33 years using a vape. I started out on 24 mg nicotine and have the shop dwindling down my nicotine mg with the placebo effect for me. I do not know how much nicotine they are putting in now, but I told them to tell me when I have been vaping at Zero Nicotine for one month. I am hoping that I am on the zero now – I feel better, smell better, and have a new outlook on things as well. It has been a hard bad habit to break – started smoking in 1985!!

16. comment-avatar

Katherine

March 25, 2018 at 9:33 pm Reply

Try to switch to a drastically different brand that taste bad to you. If you smoking common commercial brands try organic american spirit gold. It will taste odd yet has non of the chemicals which triggers your body to start removing chemicals from old brand yet you still get some nicotine. Key is the taste. If it tastes odd will be easier to get off of new cigarettes cold turkey. After switching to new brand you can try go cold turkey in 3-7 days. It works.

17. comment-avatar

Mary Tyler

April 20, 2018 at 12:18 pm Reply

Thank you for the info home remedies work better any way. Going to start today, let’s pray and believe God he can make it happen.

Steven Mug

May 15, 2018 at 12:12 am Reply

Thanks for the information I’ll try it out and see.

Aliabbas

May 18, 2018 at 1:03 am Reply

Praying for you

18. comment-avatar

Malin Eklöf

April 22, 2018 at 6:20 pm Reply

Thanks. Will try vaping some herbs instead of smoking. Also juicing has gotten me less keen on smoking. Good luck all of you wanting to quit!

19. comment-avatar

Mira

May 3, 2018 at 12:50 am Reply

Lord help me to quit… Lord please answer my prayer…

20. comment-avatar

Brenda

May 3, 2018 at 8:06 am Reply

I used vaping to quit cigs cold turkey after smoking for 35 years, and it helped me tremendously. But 1 month later I had a massive right hemisphere stroke from all of the damage I’d already done by smoking.

21. comment-avatar

Dana

May 7, 2018 at 2:58 am Reply

BLOWING BUBBLES !!!!
    It makes you lightheaded and gives you that feeling of euphoria and stress relief.
    Your actually breathing like you would a cigarette, but instead of inhaling smoke, your inhaling fresh air. And instead of blowing smoke, your blowing bubbles. Instead of people around feeling sickened by your smoke and keeping children away from you, people will enjoy your bubbles and parents will be happy to have their kids popping your bubbles… it’s a win win win

22. comment-avatar

zandile

May 7, 2018 at 8:00 pm Reply

Comment…plz help want to quit smoking

23. comment-avatar

Sowmya S

May 12, 2018 at 4:39 am Reply

Hello, my guy is a hard core smoker from past 15 years. How do I help him also make him quit smoking. We are unable to lead a happy life because of it. I am worried about his health. Pls help me dealing it.

vijay

May 30, 2018 at 10:18 pm Reply

TRY champix.Should be prescribed by a doctor.Helping me but still smoking…reduced from 25-30 to 6to7 a day..With champix on i dont feel the same hit I have now and slowly starting to dislike it.
      One most important thing on top of all is …”Willingness” to quit should come from your hubby.As a smoker I get upset when i am asked by some one to stop smoking.Heavy smokers only!! Yes finding hard but beliving myself i can do it.

24. comment-avatar

Shelley

May 26, 2018 at 10:37 pm Reply

As long as you have the will to quit you can do it. Never give up keep trying. do whatever it takes. Home remedies, quit smoking aids. Whatever helps just do it.

25. comment-avatar

Ashish

June 14, 2018 at 11:25 am Reply

Cut Ginger in small pieces (about the size of a pinch). Add rock salt and lime juice to it. Mix well and sun dry it. Once dried, keep it with you in a pouch or a small potable container. Keep few pieces in both throughout the day. Do not chew, just keep sucking on it all day. You may not have to deal with withdrawals at all. I tried this and it works.

Gezella Windvogel

July 18, 2018 at 5:22 am Reply

how long for it to work Ashish

26. comment-avatar

Ryannicholascharles

June 23, 2018 at 8:02 pm Reply

Blue e cig is the best way to go

T

July 1, 2018 at 9:50 pm Reply

Nah blue and that good

27. comment-avatar

Verna

June 28, 2018 at 6:30 am Reply

Its been 4 months now since I quit. The cravings at tumes is so hard. I use the patch. Pray for me.

Im a non smoker

28. comment-avatar

Jack

June 28, 2018 at 11:45 pm Reply

Hi all, I make a guide for myself:
    1. Before set your quit date, count your average cigarettes per day, which is 8 for me average a day.
    2. For my case, I assume every 3 hrs a cigarette, so start from tomorrow, I will do to reduce to 7 cigarettes a day with an interval of 3.5hours.
    3. Track your daily record, if you don’t smoke more than the record (7 cigarettes) reward yourself a small thing, I reward myself a 5 dollar everyday if i achieved my record.
    4. My interval last every 3 days, from 3.5 to 3.75 and to 4 hours interval. 3.5 hours = 3hour30min, 3.75 hours = 3hour45min. If you fail to follow your record, no reward for that day and not counted too.
    5. Every time the 1st digit increase by 1 interval, 1 cigarette will be reduce. I estimate every 12 days reduce cigarette by 1.
    6. If you set your fixed interval like mine, every 3 days, and estimated 12 days reduce by 1, then within 2 months time, you will totally be smoke free.

For the first few week when you are craving for cigarette (Withdrawal symptom), even a puff, never and don’t do it.
    1. Reward yourself if you don’t smoke a cigarette throughout the entire day, 1 day = 1 package of the cigarette cost
    2. Drink a lot of water, playing games, hanging out, ask for distraction etc. I find myself best is to sleep, and playing games.

You will see you saved a lot after you are totally a smoker free, good luck and you can do it to be smoker free, all the best!!!
    P/s: English is not my primary language.

29. comment-avatar

Theresa Makovec

July 4, 2018 at 9:23 am Reply

I smoke organic American spirits. Pricey but no gross chemicals in the tobacco. Prayer helps. Because of the price. Trying to quit for good. Please pray for me

30. comment-avatar

Betsy

July 13, 2018 at 11:32 pm Reply

I drink water all day and take a multivitamin twice daily….so i imagine i would smoke more than the one pack a day that i do now. Reading through and realizing there are things I want to buy that I don’t bc of smoking makes ke think I am going to focus on that. I know if I keep myself busy, all of the sudden, I’m like, oh I smoke!. Then I’ll smoke. So I am going to try and stay busy, post visual reminders of things I want and start exercising more. Have a yoga mat I haven’t opened in 3 yrs lol. I started smoking in 2012 when my mom passed and my husband left us in a text message a month later. Soooo regret it!!!. I’m glad I came across this for inspiration. Thank you and I’ll let y’all know how it goes!!

31. comment-avatar

Gilly

July 18, 2018 at 3:51 pm Reply

Hi all. I’ve been smoking for smoking for about 25years. I’m just unable to quit.I’ve tried time and once again, but it wouldn’t work; so as to say. I am unemployed, I live alone, have very few friends. These factors make me sit down, smoke and think, though I do realize that this does not justify my smoking, however I seem to let my “pain” via the cigarette.

I go out for long walks when the weather permits, and I do not smoke for two to three hours. Once I return home the “pain” and thoughts begin, together with smoking. At times I go to bed and keep tossing and turning so as not to keep smoking. (I do not smoke, eat or drink in my bed room).

Anyone’s comments, suggestions, help would be highly appreciated.

Gilly

kyle

September 13, 2018 at 8:49 am Reply

try putting a drop of approve lavender oil on your piillow before bed and your 2 drops on your hands rub your hands together and make sure it is rubbed in pillow the soothing smell has been known to calm people down and is natural muscle relaxant hope it helps btw do not use if allergic you may also need to dilute in a carrier oil or water as is very potent do not ingest

32. comment-avatar

Diana Davila

July 25, 2018 at 7:03 pm Reply

I quit already I feel better I excited of not smoking anymore

33. comment-avatar

delois Johnson

August 5, 2018 at 5:48 pm Reply

Day 3 smoke free after, , 40 yrs I know I’m done prayer jin-sang water and Ginger I’m free !! It was embarrassing for me a granny lol I just thought I couldn’t but I can an you can too

34. comment-avatar

Stephanie Graham

August 21, 2018 at 6:36 pm Reply

I won’t to quit going to stop using the tea and ginger thank u

35. comment-avatar

T SHaun

August 24, 2018 at 10:26 am Reply

HI im smoking from the past 13 years and im an Type 1 Diabetic Mellitus and im trying to quit smoking but im unable due to frusttration and more problems in life im an orphan

36. comment-avatar

Gopal Renwa

August 28, 2018 at 1:24 pm Reply

any addiction that may be smoking or drinking takes 21 days to be addicted or to quit it….wanna quit hold urself hard with will and u can stop smoking try to suck ginger blocks dipped in lime…